Monday, July 23, 2012

Week 4

I can't believe we have already made it four weeks into class.  There is a lot that can be discussed from these Last few chapters.  I can most relate to chapter ten since being in my early twenties and going through all these changes the book has been talking about. something that really interested me though was how  when going through adulthood we tend to leave more risky behaviors behind  and settle into a new way of looking at the world. the term the book used for describing these behaviors and the urge to put oneself in life threatning situations is edgework. personally I feel as if my time has just begun for experiencing these feelings. I am more adventurous than ever before and push myself to do things I would never in a million years would have tried a few years ago. maybe I just switched because I was so cautious in high school and did not do a lot of traveling so now I want to do it all. so for me that stage is more towards my thirties rather than my twenties. I wonder if it differentiates from people that have lived in small towns their whole  life to those that have grown up moving all the time, whether one would be more inclined to settle down faster than the other.

4 comments:

  1. I could definitley see how these timeframes would differ from person to person and place to place. The timelines in the book are generalizations of reasearch and observations. I have noticed that people are getting married and starting families a lot later lately. This would have a tendency to extend this "adventure" period. I think it would also depend like you said on where you live and what your life is like. Many people have to join the work force as soon as possible and don't have much family or financial support. This would limit their options. For me, I feel like I have done things backwards. I went to college for a couple years and lived my freedom years, then I moved home got married and started a family. Now I am back in school!! There is no one way of experiencing life, but a lot of these theories are universal... at least in part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if adventure is different for those in small verse big cities...I think it is the individual. I grew up in a small midwest town left for place unknown at 17. My roaming took me all over the country...I tried to stay put a couple of times but until I was in my thirties I wanted no part of that. Fortunately I have been able to have a career that still allows for that ability to have adventure...surfing in Hawaii, mountain biking in Montana, hiking in New Zealand...being 40 hasn't slowed my need to experience all life has to offer. I do think that seeing a lot of death and dying at work makes one want to appreciate all life has to offer every minute of the day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am from a small town where everybody knows everything about everyone! (Lynden) I have lived here my whole life. I feel very content living here and raising my daughter here.My sister on the other hand always wanted to be a city girl and moved to Seattle. I have thought about it but being away from my family isnt something i would like to do. I did live in Everett for awhile but ending up coming home. I havent done a lot of traveling until recently. We went on family trips when i was younger but nothing big. I i have recently traveled to Texas and Louisiana to visit my boyfriends family. And i loved it. I think now that i am older and have people to visit in different states that i may spread my wings a little more to see places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that it is really cool that you are going through this stage in your life! I feel like I went through this a couple of years ago when I went backpacking in SE Asia and it was awesome! I learned so much, and really came out of my shell.

    ReplyDelete